Working as a UN Peacekeeper is a unique experience. The Secretary-General of the United Nations António Guterres, has launched the second edition of the global call for nominations for Heads and Deputy Heads of UN Peace Operations. Further information on the mandate of United Nations Peace Operations can be found at https://peacekeeping.un.org/en and https://dppa.un.org/en/dppa-around-world.
What is the Global Call for Nominations Campaign?
The Global Call for Nominations Campaign seeks to ensure equitable geographical representation within the United Nations and to enhance transparency in appointments.
The Secretariat is seeking individuals with:
- A minimum of 20 years of relevant professional experience, including at least 5 years at senior and representational level, in conflict, post-conflict, peacekeeping, peacebuilding and/or development settings, as well as experience in governance, mediation, facilitation and/or negotiations at the national and/or international level. No Age requirement specified.
- Demonstrated extensive knowledge in reconciliation, conflict resolution, humanitarian, peacekeeping, development, human rights, rule of law and/or governance issues;
- Demonstrated leadership experience with strategic vision and proven skills in leading complex organizations, such as intergovernmental, international non-governmental or multinational private sector entities;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural team and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization;
- Familiarity with the United Nations system, including peacekeeping, humanitarian and developments settings, as well as knowledge of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- A high degree of emotional intelligence, political acumen and diplomatic skills;
- Excellent communication and advocacy skills;
- Proven ability to inspire, build trust, confidence and consensus amongst stakeholders and foster partnerships at the local, national or regional level to create opportunities and promote processes to advance peace and security;
- High commitment to the values and guiding principles of the United Nations, including impeccable personal integrity, respect for and commitment to human rights and demonstrated cultural and gender sensitivity;
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this Call for nominations, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another United Nations official language, in particular Arabic, French, or Spanish, is an advantage given the areas of deployment of United Nations field missions.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply. In fact Member States are requested to limit the number of nominations to a maximum of four individuals of which at least two should be women candidates.
The CARICOM Secretariat invites Member States to submit nominations by Friday, 30 August 2019. Submissions should be accompanied by the nominee’s curriculum vitae and should be addressed to the Secretary-General, Caribbean Community for the attention of –
Amb. Colin Granderson
Foreign and Community Relations
copied to –
Ms. Nickeva Eve-Benjamin
Foreign Policy and Community Relations